A Complete Guide To Buy Convertible Car Seats
One of the most important decisions you should make before giving birth to a new baby is the type of car seat you should buy. With a lot of options and information, new parents may feel overwhelmed and confused about which car seat is the best option to keep their baby as safe as possible.
Convertible car seats can be positioned rear-facing, front-facing, and then converted into a booster seat. The rear-facing position is for infants and toddlers, and the forward-facing position protects babies up to 65 pounds. Convertible seats are a more permanent vehicle accessory. Keep this in mind when considering options, as they cannot be easily moved after installation.
Why choose a convertible car seat?
Cost is the most important reason to choose a convertible car seat. Convertible seats are adapted to children at each stage of transition, so it is not necessary to buy separate seats. Adaptability is, of course, an advantage. It is easy and convenient to set up a seat for the next stage as your child grows.
How to choose a convertible car seat?
Whichever type of car seat you choose, there are many things to keep in mind when getting your convertible car seat: You can choose the best one for you by following these instructions.
Make sure the car seat is properly padded and there is enough headrest support. This provides a comfortable and smooth ride for children, regardless of travel distance. If this is not confirmed before installing the seat, it will be very uncomfortable for the child. In addition to the body and head, protection against side impacts must also be verified. This is very important for you and your child because it ensures that both the head and the chest are protected in case of a side impact accident. Some car seats have special foam that absorbs energy, but others do not, so parents can check before buying and installing. An easy way to know this is that when the child sits, the seat looks like a cup shaped.
This is something that needs attention. Yes! A five-point safety harness should have two straps on the baby’s shoulders and three straps between the baby’s legs. This is very important. Almost all car seats are equipped, but to make it safer, check it and make sure it is there.
Convertible seats with steel reinforced frames are even safer. The 5-point seat harnesses allow the child to sit safely in the seat. Some convertible car seats include an additional protective layer on the side of the seat and anti-rebound bars to stabilize and reduce impact.
Easy to maintain
Yes! This is part of that. Don’t ever forget that mess follow children around. Sometimes they spray juice on it, drop crumbs of food and soak it with urine. While picking up your convertible car seat, check to see if you can remove the cover, wash it and make sure it can be easily replaced. Also, make sure the car sear has strap covers too. Note that it is not safe to remove the straps. Therefore, the next option is cover. If you can remove the strap cover, body cover, wash and replace, you have found a winner.
The right weight
While buying your car seat, you should go for something that your baby will grow and not out. At least until it is no longer necessary. The best convertible car seat weighs 18 kg and must be 101 cm high when facing forward. This is because after using it as a rear facing, you will need to convert it for your growing baby. So adjust this according to the height of the car during installation.
Our 2019 Top 5 Convertible Car Seats
5. Graco SlimFit 3 in 1 Convertible Car Seat
- All in One seat grows with Your child from 5 100 pound, rear to forward facing and becomes a belt positioning booster; save space in Your back seat with Unique rotating cup Holders; metal and plastic parts may be cleaned with mild soap and Cool Water; Buckle may be cleaned with a damp cloth
- Simply Safe Adjust Harness System adjusts the height of Your harness and headrest; integrated harness storage compartment Holds unused harness straps while seat is a belt positioning booster
- Engineered & crash tested to meet or exceed US Standard FMVSS 213; the SlimFit car seat has been side impact tested for occupant retention solely with the built in 5 Point harness system; features EPS foam
- InRight LATCH system for an Easy, one second LATCH attachment; 4 position recline helps keep Your growing child comfy, in rear and forward facing modes
- Plush Suppots keep Your child comfortable and are removable; washable seat cover is Easy to access without removing the harness; Car seat depth is 16.25 inch; Car seat height is 25.5 inch; Car seat width inside is 19.75 inch
- Graco ProtectPlus Engineered: a combination of the most rigorous crash tests that helps protect Your child in frontal, side, rear & rollover crashes; additional testing based on the New Car Assessment Program and for extreme car interior temperatures
4. Disney Baby Apt 50 Convertible Car Seat
- Extended use lets kids ride longer: Rear-facing 5-40 pounds and Forward-facing 22-50 pounds
- Side Impact Protection
- Seat pad is machine washable and dryer safe
- 5-point harness with up-front adjustment
- 6 harness heights and 3 buckle locations allow for the best fit for growing children
3. Safety 1ˢᵗ Grow and Go 3-in-1 Convertible Car Seat
- BUILT TO GROW: The 3 in 1 car seat built to GROW for extended use through 3 stages: Rear facing 5 to 40 pounds, Forward facing 22 to 65 pounds, and Belt positioning booster 40 to 100 pounds
- SIDE IMPACT PROTECTION: The Grow and Go’s side impact protection helps keep your child safe
- EASY IN, EASY OUT: Harness holders keep the harness in an open position so it’s easy to get your child in and out of the seat
- QUICKFIT HARNESS: With the QuickFit Harness you can easily adjust both the harness and headrest in one simple step
- WASH AND DRY: Machine washable and dryer safe seat pad features snaps that make it simple to take off of the seat; no fuss for truly easy cleaning
2. Evenflo Tribute LX Convertible Car Seat
- 2 Seats in 1: Two Modes of Harness use – Rear-Facing and Forward-Facing
- Compact Design: For small cars and multi-seat use
- Up-Front Harness Adjust: Central, front access to harness adjuster provides an easy way to adjust child’s harness for an accurate, snug fit
- 4 Shoulder Harness Positions: Provide a proper fit for your growing child
- Cup Holder: Removable cup holder is dishwasher safe- keep drinks and snacks within reach
1. Graco Extend2Fit 3 in 1 Car Seat
- 3 car seats in 1: rear-facing for infants 4-50 lbs., front-facing for toddlers 22-65 lbs. and for big kids 30-100 lbs.
4-position extension panel adjusts to provide 5 inches of additional legroom, allowing your child to ride safely rear-facing longer
6-position recline helps keep your child comfy
10-position headrest adjusts easily for your growing child
Simply Safe Adjust Harness System adjusts the height of your harness and headrest in one motion to ensure that your child is always properly secured
Graco ProtectPlus Engineered: a combination of the most rigorous crash tests that helps protect your child in frontal, side, rear & rollover crashes; additional testing based on the New Car Assessment Program and for extreme car interior temperatures