A Complete Guide To Buy Dash Cam
Car cameras are also referred to as dash cams, car cams, or vehicle video recorders. They’re cameras you install inside your car. There are many reasons someone might want to get one, and there is a bevy of features to be considered when looking for the right solution. The features will vary a bit, and which might be most important depends on what your dilemma is. Maybe you’re a parent who’s concerned with the behind-the-wheel behavior on the new teen driver in your house. There’s an answer for that. You run a company with a delivery fleet? There’s an alternative for that, too. Do you want to have a video camera in the car to protect yourself in case of a traffic infraction? You bet that there’s a dash cam which can help with that.
What is a Dash Cam?
A dash cam stands for a dashboard camera that’s mounted in the vehicle, usually on the front windshield. A dash cam, depending within the model, is able to do many things such as recording both when the vehicle is being driven and when it’s parked. It records audio and offers a connection to a brilliant phone app to ensure video may be reviewed and saved about the spot, etc
The basic nature of a dash cam would be to act as a “silent witness” for you in incidents so that footage of what really happened can be shown. Dash cam footage have saved people a significant amount of money and lowered insurance costs. In fact, many insurance agencies offer a discount in case you have a dash cam inside vehicle.
The reasons why you should buy a dash cam
Record Car Accident Evidence
This is definitely the main reason why an incredible number of car drivers have decided to invest their time and money in dash cams, especially in Russia, where you can see the highest volume of dash cam users right now. Simply put, the digital camera will start recording as early as you start your car’s engine and this will provide real-time, efficient, straight-to-the-point proof in the event of accident.
If an auto crash happened and your vehicle was involved, then you can prove that it was not your fault and you can send the videotape as evidence, should there be any court trial. This way, the opposite party will be held responsible for the accident and is going to be obliged to cover your own car repairs – without the video evidence, the other driver may claim that the fault was entirely yours, since it often happens which the guilty drivers have a tendency to put the blame on the victims. The dash cam will be the strongest and the majority efficient proof you’ve got for defending yourself, in case of car crash. In the end, it is better to have one and stay on the safe side, as it can save a lot of time, money and trouble in the long run.
Fraudulent Accident Claims
Dash cam footage enables you to refute fraudulent accident claims made during an accident. There are con men that extort money from victims by claiming injury and damage to the vehicle within an accident. Dash cam footage can be used to see who was at fault, thus saving the victim from unnecessary harassment.
Film your road trip shenanigans like a pro
Ever been on a road trip and all of you can think when you look out the window is “… Huh. This would produce a really great looking movie”? Use a dash cam, and you are able to turn yourself right into a director extraordinaire!
Keep your dash cams filming via your entire road trip and you’ll be sure to have unique and valuable footage you would have never thought to capture with your iPhone or DSLR camera.
How to Choose a Dash Cam?
The quality of the recording is the most important feature of any dash cam. A good dash cam has good resolution and clear video output. Grainy video and inaudible audio can do you no favors, etc footage will be useless in insurance and accident claims. You should try to get a dash cam with an excellent camera plus a good video resolution.
Look for cameras that shoot in high-definition, 720p or 1080p. A non HD dash cam costs less, however with a grainy video output, it defeats the purpose. When you are selecting a dash cam, you should definitely check video quality before buying.
Since the dash cam is constantly recording, it is very important buy a camera with ample storage. A dash cam records over the oldest recording to help keep the loop; if your dash cam has little storage capacity, it is recording above the same footage. As a result, you’ll get very little footage from the dash cam, which isn’t the perfect scenario.
Size and Reliability
The size of your dash cam can be another important factor to take into account; it is usually the difference between using a lot of features and forgoing some. A small and discreet dash cam doesn’t take up a great deal of space for the dash and is particularly suitable for small cars. It will not attract much attention about the camera.
Our 2019 Top 5 Dash Cams
5. YI Smart Dash Cam, 2.7″ Screen 1080P60 Full HD 165 Wide Angle Front Dashboard
- The ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance Systems) – the most advanced and optimized visual recognition algorithms ensure safe driving by providing real time Lane Departure
- Emergency recording feature – Enabled by G-sensor technology, the camera automatically saves footage in the events leading up to a collision and immediately after
- High Definition Image and First-class Night vision – 1920x1080p 60fps high speed video recording captures fast moving scenes and creates high resolution images in high speed.
- Features 165 ultra wide-angle to reduce blind spots and obtain full 3 lane coverage. F1.8 apertures (the largest in the industry) and 3.0mx3.0m high sensitivity image sensors guarantee excellent night vision
- Built – in 2.7″ TFT LCD widescreen and intuitive YI Dash Cam App – The interface features large buttons and user-friendly icons for quick recognition and intuitive operation
4. AUKEY Dash Cam, 1080P Dashboard Camera Recorder
- Low-profile ‘stealth’ dash cam sits unnoticed behind your rear view mirror, ready to back you up in the event of any incident on the road.
- Emergency Recording Mode, activated by built-in gravity sensor, automatically captures unexpected driving incidents and protects them against being overwritten.
- Easily and securely mount to your windshield in seconds with the included double-sided 3M pads.
- Powered by your standard car 12/24V socket via the included dual-port USB car charger (with spare port to charge your phone) and internal supercapacitor.
- Package Contents: AUKEY DR02 Dashboard Camera, Dual-Port USB Car Charger, USB Mini-B Power Cable (4m/4.37yd), Sticker Mount, Two 3M Stickers, Six Cable Clips, and User Manual.
3. Vantrue N2 Pro Uber Dual Dash Cam
- 【Dual Lens 1080P Car Camera For Uber Lyft Taxi】Best dash cam to record car interior picked by Wirecutter. Based on powerful Novatek NT96660 CPU, advanced Sony Exmor IMX323 sensor (inside car camera) and OV4689 (front car camera) sensor, the front and inside camera simultaneously capture the road front (170°) and inside passenger cabin (140°) in crystal details at dual 1920x1080P 30fps. Or utilize the front cam only to record front at 2560x1440P@30fps or 1920x1080P@60fps to capture license plates
- 【Infrared Night Vision w/Sony Sensor】The interior facing camera utilizes a Sony IMX323 sensor, 4 IR LED lights and f/2.0 aperture, which can handle low light conditions and ensures flawless video footage even when the passenger cabin is dark. F/1.8 6-glass lens front facing cam and unique HDR video system automatically balance the light and dark areas of the video.
- 【24 Hours Parking Mode & Auto LCD OFF】24 Hours Motion activated parking mode makes the dual car camera to automatically record when it detects motion. Auto start and record when the ignition sparks up. Auto LCD OFF timer ensure you won’t be disturbed by another glowing rectangle on your windshield. Ideal for most climates: -4° to 158°F (-20° to 70°C). Excellent audio recording with built in microphone. Time lapse function automatically takes photos at specified intervals.
- 【Looping Recording & G-Sensor & Optional GPS】Seamless Loop Recording overwrites the oldest footage with the newest upon filling a card to capacity. Variable sensitivity G-sensor auto detects sudden shake/collision and emergency locks the footage to “Event File” to prevent that video from an overwrite. Supports up to 256GB microSD cards, recommend samsung evo card. Optional GPS to track the driving route, location and speed(To use GPS function, please buy an extra gps mount Asin: B07CYW6JXW).
- 【Total Peace of Mind w/18m Warranty】Full 18m Warranty, email replies within 24H, and 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. Pay less auto insurance, your witness for accidents and insurance claims. Perfect dual lens dash cam for uber, taxis, rideshare, lyft drivers, commuters, and families. Works with 12V and 24V vehicles.
2. APEMAN Dash Cam 1080P FHD DVR Car Driving Recorder
- 【1080P FULL HD DASH CAM】Simultaneous recording with Super High Resolution 1080P FHD Lens, and 3” large LCD Screen deliver clearer videos&images and replay the key moment even when high speed driving.
- 【170° SUPER WIDE ANGLE】This car driving recorder employs 170°super wide angle lens. Ultra-wide field of view reduces the blind spots and captures more details, to reserve the real scene.
- 【BUILT IN G-SENSOR】With built-in G-sensor, apeman dashboard camera can automatically detect a sudden shake/collision and lock the footage to prevent the video from being overwritten even in loop recording. Accident scene can be truly restored.
- 【SUPER NIGHT VISION】The combination of F1.8 large aperture, WDR, HDR ensures the clarity of images at night. Eliminates the need for an auxiliary light source even in low-light environments, making it easy to obtain sharp, color-accurate images.
- 【EASY TO SET UP & USE】 Motion Detection, Seamless Loop Recording, Parking Monitor satisfy your need for daily driving. Simple installation and operation, no need to worry even for a first time user.
1. Rexing V1 Car Dash Cam 2.4″ LCD FHD 1080p 170° Wide Angle
- DISCREET DESIGN: Signature low-profile design allows the V1 to be a well-hidden witness to the road ahead.
- FULL-HD RECORDING: Sony Exmor IMX323 image sensor captures beautiful Full-HD 1080p video @ 30fps. WIDE DYNAMIC RANGE allows the camera to perform optimally in any lighting situation by adjusting the exposure to create balanced images and footage.
- 170 DEGREE ULTRA WIDE ANGLE LENS: The 6 layers glass lens opens up to capture a sweeping view of your surroundings.
- LOOP RECORDING: When the storage limit is reached on the memory card, new recordings will automatically overwrite oldest recordings. Supports high-endurance micro SD memory cards up to 256GB in memory size.
- ACCIDENT AUTO-DETECTION (G-SENSOR) AND PARKING MONITOR: When the built-in gravity sensor detects a collision, the current video is locked, ensuring important footage is kept protected. Locked video will be kept safe from being overwritten. Parking monitor provides 24 hour protection.