A Complete Guide To Buy Dog Ramp
Pet steps are very convenient way to ease your dog’s access certain areas of your home, or even your car. Whether it’s your ageing pet in need of extra support, a small breed dog requiring help getting on and off elevated areas, or your own physical limitations, pet steps and ramps can alleviate issues safely and effectively.
Pet steps are incredibly convenient solution to ease your dog’s access certain areas of your home, as well as your car. Whether it’s your ageing pet requiring extra support, a small breed dog requiring help climbing on and off elevated areas, pet steps and ramps can alleviate issues safely and effectively.
Choosing between steps and ramps would depend on your pet’s specific needs, size, weight, and agility level. The height of the elevated area will even play a key factor in choosing between two. Also, being aware of what your own requirements are and what works suitable for your lifestyle will assist in the choice. Most importantly, whatever type you ultimately choose, dog training will be an important step inside the process.
Should I get stairs or a ramp for my dog?
Stairs make the perfect choice for dogs which have the agility and balance to use standard household stairs. Many are portable which enable it to be moved from sofa to bed or to car. They also often take up less space area than ramps.
If your dog is having trouble maneuvering the stairs at your house or if your home is on one level and he’s unused to climbing any stairs, think about dog ramp. You’ll require a ramp which has a gentle incline and is particularly high enough to reach furniture or perhaps your vehicle.
How to Choose the Best Dog Ramp
A ramp for your dog should have a few important features. Here’s what to consider when selecting a ramp for your dog:
Compact folding and telescoping
The fact that a ramp will likely be at least a number of feet long means that you’re not able to keep it anywhere – unless it gets smaller. If you’re planning on using this ramp for your car, turning it into more compact can be an absolute must. You can possibly just slide a flat ramp underneath the car seat, but that will require a lot of “if” statements to be real. You can fold it up or telescoping slide it to minimize the size of several types of ramps to make this easier. You will want to make sure it will lock in place, when extended, though, for your dog’s safety. Of course this doesn’t apply if you plan to use your new ramp indoors for any more permanent basis, but less prestigiously folding legs as a result of slide beneath the bed or couch will help for the occasional need.
Ramp weight limit
It goes without saying that you’ll need to have a ramp which will hold your dog’s weight. You’ll wish to keep a few more things under consideration. For example, you’re going to need to have a pretty big buffer if you have an anxious or enthusiastic dog. Not only will the soundness keep your dog relaxed, but even when he doesn’t stress the wobble, it will need to hold your dog’s weight when he bounces about it. For that reason, we can go big on weight limits. However, with larger weight capacity comes a heavier ramp and then we recommend you make use of a bit of discretion. You won’t desire a ramp reinforced with steel for the toy breed dog.
Your dog is quite likely to go up any ramp you get him quickly. For that reason, he won’t be taking some time to see where he’s placing each paw and waiting to be certain he has an excellent grip before he continues on. The risk of slipping is dramatically increased with the ramp coming to an incline. So a texture of some type directly on the ramp is essential to your pup’s safety. There are non-slip stickers you can buy if your ramp doesn’t feature any however it will most likely come with some sort of slipping deterrent. You will just want to be sure to select one that matches your dog’s needs. Strip stickers are a straightforward upgrade to the ramp, and also you won’t need to search for anything terribly rare, however they don’t offer full coverage and they are therefore less efficient on smaller paws.
Easy on paws
Of course a rough surface will probably be safer for a non-slip surface. Easy, in such cases, means a texture unlike the sandpaper your pup will discover unpleasant on his paws. For the heavy duty or vehicle dog ramps, you can utilize bathtub non-slip stickers and they also tend to be less rough. But for the interior use, you will discover carpeted options or, when you have a smaller dog and wish to purchase upgrade options yourself, you can include on velvet stickers to minimize slipping and your fur baby comfortable.
Our 2019 Top 5 Dog Ramps
5. Gen7Pets Natural Step Ramp
- EASIER FOR YOUR PETS: Getting in and out of a vehicle can become very difficult for a pet as it ages, which is why the Gen7Pets Natural-Step Ramp is so important. When a dog is going up a hill, the tendency is to use its nails to get additional grip.
- COMFORTABLE FEEL: The Natural-Step Ramp with Poly-Grass allows the dog to get a grip and feel secure while walking up a soft surface that will not scratch its paw pads. The grass is also soft to the touch for the pet parent and will not scuff or scratch interiors of a vehicle.
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND EASY: The Natural-Step Ramp is lightweight, easy to open and fold and offers one of the widest walking paths for a 72″ long ramp making it easy for your pet to use. The soft rubber-grip handle makes carrying the ramp easy and the automatic locking latch secures the ramp closed so there will be no accidental unfolding of the ramp.
- COMPACT AND ACCESSIBLE: The thin compact fold makes this ramp the most compact 72″ long ramp available to date. It easily stores in the back of your SUV or minivan or under the bed or couch for quick easy access and convenient storage.
- PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS: Package contains (1) Gen7Pets Natural Step Ramp for Pets. Maximum weight 250 lbs. Open Dimensions 72″ long x 16″ wide x 1.5″ thick. Folded Dimensions 36″ long x 16″ wide x 3″ thick. Only weighs 17 lbs.
4. Dog Steps by Cozy Pet | Machine Washable Cover with Non Skid Bottom
- Cozy Pet 3 Steps measure 19.5″ x 14.75″ x 15″
- Safe, light weight steps so easily movable but with DuraCore technology; strong enough for a 150lb dog. DuraCore technology is our unique cardboard configuration for an incredibly dense, but lightweight step
- Light weight (under 6 pounds) and portable with convenient tote handle on back
- Steps are padded for extra comfort
- Non-skid bottom
- Cover is Machine washable
3. Pet Gear Stramp Stair and Ramp Combination
- supertraX mat is soft, protecting pets’ paws and removes for easy cleaning
- Rubber grippers on bottom keep step secure and in place
- Easily snaps together; no tools required ; For pets up to 150 lbs
- Light-weight; easy to move from room to room. Step height- 5 Inch from floor
- Measures 28-Inch L by 16-Inch W by 16-Inch H
- Please scroll below and read “From the Manufacturer” for exciting features
2. Pet Gear Easy Step II Pet Stairs, 2 Step for Cats/Dogs up to 150 Pounds
- Wider and deeper stair landings for small and large dogs; rubber grippers on bottom keep step secure and in place
- Carpet tread is removable for easy cleaning. Step height- 6 inch. Top step depth- 12.25 inch. 2nd step depth- 11.5 inch
- Snaps together very easily, no tools required
- Measures 22 x 16 x 16-inches; for pets up to 150-pounds
- Please scroll below and read “From the Manufacturer” for more exciting features
1. PetSafe Solvit Deluxe Extra-Long Telescoping Pet Ramp
- LIGHTWEIGHT: The XL Deluxe Telescoping Pet Ramp weighs 18 lb. making it easy to pick up and transport. The ultra-stiff design utilizes four rubber feet to keep the ramp stable while in use
- DURABLE: The XL Deluxe Telescoping Pet Ramp can hold over 300 lb. giving even the largest dog a safe and comfortable walking surface
- TRACTION: The high traction walking surface provides a textured surface to help prevent slips, similar to truck beds and skate boards; perfect for older pets or pets with mobility issues
- GUIDE RAILS: Raised rails on both sides of the walking surface help your pet feel more secure walking up and down the ramp
- ADJUSTABLE: The XL Deluxe Telescoping Pet Ramp extends from 47 in. to 87 in. L; total ramp measurements are 47-87 in. L x 20 in. W x 4 in. H.The aluminum rails on the ramp are pre-lubricated with household paraffin wax
- SUPPORT FOR YOU: Call, chat or email with our expert US-based customer care specialists six days a week at 1-800-845-3274; they are waiting to assist you and your pet with your product needs
- EXPERIENCE: PetSafe brand has been an industry leading US manufacturer of pet behavior, containment and lifestyle products since 1991, helping millions of people and pets each year
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION: While strong and durable, the PetSafe Solvit Deluxe Telescoping Pet Ramp is designed for PET USE ONLY