A Complete Guide To Buy Smart Locks
Smart locks have been on the market in recent years and are quickly becoming popular. These technically advanced locks are the future path, as they make your home as easy as pressing a button on a mobile phone. In recent years, home security will also be a smart technology, with almost everything using mobile phones.
What Is Smart Lock?
As technology improves, smart home devices will soon become an integral part of the average American life. According to IDC, this trend has no sign of slowing down and almost 832.7 million smart home devices have been shipped to US in 2019. By 2023, that number will increase to 1.6 billion. Smart locks are an increasingly important part of this. Smart locks are keyless alternatives to traditional door locks. After installation, you can open the door by pressing finger or touching phone.
Benefits of Using a Smart Lock
Easy to use
Smart Lock is very easy to use. You don’t always need to have a key to access your home. If you lose your key with a traditional lock, you must first call your local locksmith to enter the house. With a smart lock operated by a smartphone application and a biometric reader, authorized persons can open the door.
Send keys easily to friends and family
You also don’t have to worry about finding ways to copy keys for other people you’ve given access to your home. This is the best option for you if you constantly lose keys as you can open the door by fingerprint or your smartphone.
Stay safe and protected
The smart locking system also guarantees high security for your home. If you need a system that can be locked and checked on when you are not at home, these smart locks are perfect.
Tips for Choosing a Smart Lock
Smart lock is a battery powered device, so make sure how expected battery life compares across the models you are considering. You can also look for options that indicate the remaining battery life to avoid running out of an empty battery.
Locks vary in the way in which codes are managed, the degree of detail that can be assigned to them, even the number of codes that can be supported. When evaluating the options, consider the number of codes needed at a given time. Some systems require you to type code through the application, while others allow you to use the keyboard itself. What approach do you use?
Keys and fobs
There are many models without a keyway, but there are many smart locks that allow the use of traditional keys. For those who are not good at replacing batteries before they are completely empty, choosing a model that can use a physical key can be a valuable backup plan. Similarly, if you regularly watch mobile phones with only 2% of the remaining power, consider a lock that also offers a keyfob as a backup plan.
Our Top 5 Smart Locks
5. Yale Assure Lock with Z-Wave – Smart Touchscreen Keypad Deadbolt
- Works with Alexa for voice control (hub required, Alexa device and hub sold separately).
- Unlock by entering your 4-8 digit PIN code on the backlit, touchscreen keypad, with the physical key, or through your smart home app
- Works with Z-Wave smart home or alarm systems including SmartThings, Wink, Vera, Honeywell and Iris.
- Adjustable latch. Lock and check lock status with Amazon Alexa (requires compatible hub like SmartThings)
- Replaces existing deadbolt with just a screwdriver, requires a face bore hole of 2-1/8″, backset of 2-3/8″ or 2-3/4″, fits on standard doors 1 3/4″ to 2 1/4″ thick.Voice guided assistance, privacy mode, auto re-lock and more
- Product Dimensions : 4 x 3.8 x 6.8 inches
- Integrate the lock with a z-wave hub and then enable that z-wave hub skill from the Alexa app
4. Schlage Connect Camelot Touchscreen Deadbolt with Built
- Works with Amazon Alexa for voice control (hub required, Alexa device and hub sold separately)
- Z wave technology connects to your home automation system and lets you lock or unlock your door remotely via the web or smartphone
- Fingerprint resistant touchscreen protects against fingerprints and smudges and ensures wear patterns remain undetectable
- Built in alarm with 3 alert modes (activity, tamper and forced entry) let you know when someone is coming or going and communicate potential security threats
- ANSI Grade 1 Highest Residential Security; Door thickness range is from 1.37 to 1.75 inches thick; Universal latches and deadbolts fit 2.36 or 2.76 in inches back set
- ANSI Grade 1 Highest Residential Security
- Durable Resistive Touchscreen with matte finish to protect against fingerprints and smudges
3. August Smart Lock – Keyless Home Entry with Your Smartphone
- Add an August Connect Wi-Fi Bridge (sold separately) to remotely lock/unlock and monitor your door as well to integrate with Alexa, Google Assistant, Airbnb, Home Away Simplisafe and others.
- Secure, keyless entry for your smart home. Lock and unlock your door, control keyless access and keep track of who comes and goes, all from your phone. Works with your existing single-cylinder deadbolt
- Keep your existing lock and keys. Easily attaches to your existing deadbolt, so everyone can still use their keys.
- Send guest keys from anywhere instantly—all from the August app.
- Control access for anyone. Grant access for a few weeks, a few hours, a few minutes. It’s up to you.
- Be sure you are secure with Door Sense. Only August has Door Sense to tell you the door is completely closed and locked.
- Locks automatically as you leave and unlocks when you arrive.
- Simple, DIY installation. Install in about 10 minutes with just a screwdriver.
2. August Smart Lock Pro + Connect Wi-Fi Bridge
- Works with Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately) ; Requires 110 to 240 Volts
- Control and monitor your door from anywhere. Lock and unlock your door, control keyless access and keep track of who comes and goes, all from your phone
- Be sure you’re secure with Door Sense. Only August has Door Sense to tell you if your door is securely closed and locked
- Always know who is coming and going. Track activity at your doorstep with a 24/7 Activity Feed and requires iOS (9.0 or higher) or Android (5.0 or higher) smartphones
- Keep your existing lock and keys. Easily attaches to your existing deadbolt; use your existing keys at anytime
- Locks automatically behind you, and unlocks as you approach. Retrofit installation works with most standard single cylinder deadbolts
- Simple, DIY installation. Install in about 10 minutes with just a screwdriver
1. Kwikset 98880-004 SmartCode 888 Smart Lock Touchpad Electronic Deadbolt Door Lock
- Lock or unlock your door from anywhere with a supporting smart home system using your phone
- Expanding your security system solution with Home Connect technology, your key less entry lock will now communicate wirelessly to security and home automation systems via Z Wave
- Up to 30 programmable user access codes for family and guests to use at the door; Automatically turn on your heat or AC when you arrive
- Get notiﬁcations when someone locks or unlocks your door or check if your lock is locked
- Featuring Smart Key re key technology; re key the lock yourself in seconds in 3 easy steps
- Comes with a lifetime mechanical and finish warranty and a one year electronics warranty
- Note: Please refer the installation manual below for better use