Do you feel you have not enough time to do the kitchen jobs like mixing mixed cake batter and cookie dough? If so, you need a stand mixer. Using an electric mixer ensures light and airy cake layers, fluffy whipped cream, and icing that’s velvety smooth — plus it’s speedier than stirring umpteen times and far easier on the biceps. Stand mixers free you do other tasks while they do the work.
The Benefits of Using Stand Mixer
Do Many Jobs
Your stand mixer can serve many different purposes in your home kitchen. While the mixer itself may just sit on your counter, the steel bowl that accompanies it can be used for all types of things. The bowls may be used as double broilers as well as the deep narrow bowls works extremely well as cake molds and ice cream molds.
It Is Fast
With the right stand mixer you can get your batters and dough done quicker and with less fatigue. No longer can you have to be standing circling the mixing bowl for ten mins and getting both hands tired. With a stand mixer it is possible to set your ingredients and leave them to mix. If you have a high tech model having a timer it is possible to just set the timer and it will stop once it is done.
Hands-Free and Mess-Free
One of the biggest benefits of the stand mixer is that it allows for hands-free baking and prepping. With little effort, you can mix and mash and blend even the thickest of mixtures and you don’t even have to get your hands dirty! With a dough hook you can knead dough for recipes without even having to douse your hands in flour. Create delicious, rich chocolate cakes without getting a drop of frosting on your hands – unless of course you like to lick the bowl.
How to Choose the Best Stand Mixer?
Power and Control
With powerful motors and stand mixers which may have up to 12 different speeds you can get all the control and power you need from a stand mixer to make even the heaviest dough. When it comes to manipulating the unit you’ll find most of them having a tilt head or even a tilt arm. This allows you to control mixing and adding ingredients as well as adding and removing the bowl as well as any attachments you intend to interchange.
Capacity and strength
There are many models in the market with various strengths which range from 250 watts to 800 watts. You can choose suitable capacity and strength according to your purpose use.
Best Stand Mixer Features
Overload protection is a nice feature, as is often a locking tilt head. An all-metal construction offers more durability. 10 to 12 speeds are average and quite a few stand mixers feature 3 standard attachments (whisk, dough hook, and beater). Some products include a convenient timer onboard to remove the guesswork and a splash guard to stop spills. A motor that ramps around the speeds can help protect the device. Models with hubs to connect optional accessories are the most functional. Warranties are likely to vary between brands, however, many do offer for a longer period.
Optional Stand Mixer Accessories
Many models have a hub in order to connect optional accessories including vegetable/meat grinder, pasta or sausage maker. Although these accessories increase the cost of a mixer, they actually make it more functional and reduce the number of appliances you would need. However, they need sufficient capacity to operate these, and you might need consider the power level when choosing your mixer.
Our Top 5 Stand Mixers
5. Hamilton Beach 63391 Stand Mixer, 7 Speeds with Whisk, Dough Hook, Flat Beater Attachments
- Same mixing action as KitchenAid stand mixers* this mixer performs better than 2-beater stand mixers, and features the popular tilt-up head design for adding ingredients and changing attachments quickly
- Complete bowl coverage – no scraping necessary Mix hands-free with excellent results every time Planetary mixing rotates the beaters around the 4 quart, stainless steel bowl, for even and complete mixing
- Mix pizza and cookie dough with ease Effortlessly mix Thick batters and doughs like breads, cookies and more with a powerful, 300 watt motor
- Splash guard, dough hook, whisk and flat beater included For more mixing versatility
- 7 speeds & mixing guide Go from a slow stir to a fast mix, with exact control at each one A helpful guide at the mixer’s top lets you know which speed to use for various mixing methods
4. Cuisinart SM-50 5.5 – Quart Stand Mixer
- Large 5.5 – quart capacity, polished stainless steel bowl
- Powerful 500 watt motor, Die cast metal construction
- 12 speeds for precision mixing & tilt back head allows easy access to bowl
- One Power outlet for optional attachments
- Chef’s whisk, dough hook, and flat mixing paddle, splash guard w/pour spout
3. KitchenAid KP26M1XBU 6 Qt. Professional 600 Series Bowl-Lift Stand Mixer
- Over 10 colors available
- Multipurpose attachment hub, over 15 optional attachments
- 6-Qt. Stainless Steel Bowl with Comfortable Handle
- 67-Point Planetary Mixing Action and it offers the capacity to make up to 13 dozen cookies in a single batch and 10 speeds to thoroughly mix
- Includes burnished Powerknead spiral dough hook, burnished flat beater, wire whip, and 1 piece pouring shield, 1-year warranty
2. KitchenAid KP26M1XWH 6 Qt. Professional 600 Series Bowl-Lift Stand Mixer White
- 10 different attachments
- 6-quart stainless steel bowl with comfortable handle
- Bowl-lift design
- 10 different speeds, powerful enough for any task or recipe
- Includes: burnished flat beater, power knead spiral dough hook, wire whip
- All-metal 10-speed stand mixer with powerful 575-watt motor
- 6-quart stainless-steel mixing bowl; direct-drive transmission
- Electronic speed sensor; auto shut-off; Soft Start minimizes splatter
- Wire whip, burnished flat beater, spiral dough hook, and pouring shield included
- Measurements H: 16.5, W:11.3, D:14.6
1. KitchenAid KSM150PSER Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield
- 10-speed slide control ranges from a very fast whip to a very slow stir
- Includes Flat Beater, Dough Hook and Wire Whip
- Power Hub for Additional Attachments,Volts- 120
- Unique Mixing Action
- Assembled with Pride in Greenville, Ohio
- Choose from all the color options to find the one that best matches your style and personality.
- The power hub turns your stand mixer into a culinary center with more than 15 optional attachments available.
- 5-Qt. stainless steel bowl with comfortable handle offers enough capacity to mix dough for 9 dozen cookies or 4 loaves of bread in a single batch.
- 59-Point Planetary Mixing Action means 59 touchpoints per rotation around the bowl for thorough ingredient incorporation.
- The tilt-head design allows clear access to the bowl and attached beater or accessory so you can easily add ingredients for a recipe.
- Powerful enough for nearly any task or recipe, whether you’re stirring wet and dry ingredients together, kneading bread dough or whipping cream.
- Includes coated flat beater, coated dough hook, 6-wire whip and 1-piece pouring shield. The flat beater and dough hook are dishwasher-safe.